Designing Products, Not Just Boards
The shift to product centric design processes
This white paper explores the benefits of product-centric design and how it differs from current-generation PCB-centric processes and tools.
Industry-leading products now compete on function, price, performance, size, weight and style. The initial purpose of a new product is typically commoditized over time. For instance, consider the extended life cycle of a mobile phone with the initial purpose of completing a call with good sound quality without a wire. The mobile phone is now in Stage 4 of the extended product life cycle where call quality has been commoditized and other factors now play a critical competitive role. Products must evolve to stay competitive and so must the product development processes.
- Building more competitive products
- Extended product life cycle – the mobile phone
- The PCB-centric product development process
- The shift to product-centric design
- Designing products with product-centric design