Design Data Management in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Download the new industry study by research and analyst firm techconsult
Technologically advanced industries such as mechanical and plant engineering, transportation (including aerospace), electrical engineering and electronics are facing a highly competitive global marketplace characterized by shorter product lifecycles, growing product complexity and the digitization of business and manufacturing processes.
To find out how businesses are affected by these challenges, and how they react to them, Zuken teamed up with leading German research and analyst firm techconsult to conduct a survey of leading manufacturing companies in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
The results of this survey are remarkable in many ways:
- 52% of the respondents are facing challenges due to growing product complexity
- 45% see a need to implement end-to-end digital processes from sales to engineering and production
- 39% need to better coordinate mechanical and electronic engineering activities
The majority of companies do not have a dedicated solution in place to support and control engineering activities:
- 71% manage their engineering data within the production environment (ERP)
- 13% use a dedicated PLM environment to manage and coordinate their engineering activities
- 16% rely on manual or file based data and file management
The result is a growing non-productive overhead for engineers, taking away valuable time for core engineering activities:
- On average, design engineers spend 45% of their time on indirect administrative tasks
- The time spent on supporting activities is higher in companies that have no administration of design data and libraries in place
- The majority have doubts about the suitability of current PLM environments for their specific requirements
Download the report
These factors combine to create substantial economic issues. To understand the implications and resulting requirements, use the form to download the full report and summary slides.